When they retreated in September 1914, the Germans sought refuge on this natural high spot where the Champagne and Argonne fronts meet. Its shape resembles a hand, and each finger was a bastion of this natural fortress. Both the French and the Germans dug countless tunnels here.
The front-line soldiers would pass in front of the statue of the Holy Virgin in the village. The left breast of the statue was struck by a bullet and a swarm of bees found shelter in the hole. The soldiers, impressed by this rebirth, christened the statue the Bee Virgin.