13th century remarkable fortified site
The fortified city of Aigues-Mortes was built in the 13th century on the order of Saint Louis to provide the kingdom of France with a port on the Mediterranean. The complex consists of 1,634 metres of ramparts flanked by twenty towers and one of the most splendid keeps in the architectural style of the Middle Ages, the tower of Constance, which was used as a prison for Protestants from the Cévennes region from 1685.
Subject to modification.
- 2nd May to 31st August: from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- 1st September to 30th April: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- Last admission 1 hour before closing time.
- Ticket office closed from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. (from 1st September to 30th April).
- 1st January, 1st May, 1st November, 11th November and 25th December
- Number of floors visited during the tour: 3
- Monument accessible to people with reduced mobility
- Site with the "Tourism and Disability" label
- Unaccompanied tour with guide booklet,video projection: French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch
Duration: 1 hr 30 min
- Guided tour of the keep (the tower of Constance): French, English, German, Italian, Spanish
• Reservations: 1 week
Duration: 45 min
- Audio-guide tour: French, English, German, Italian, Dutch
Duration: 2 hrs
• Reservations: 1 month
Duration: 2 hrs 30 min
- Seating available during the tour
- Gift shop
- Parking for coaches: 200 m
- No entrance to city for coaches
- Function room rental
- Adults: 7,50 €
- Concessions:4,50 €
- Free admission: minors under 18*
Free admission: 18-25 years old* (citizens of one of the 27 countries of the EU or are non-European permanent residents of France)
* excluding school groups
- Extra charge:Audio-guide
- Rate for tourism professionals and groups (minimum 20 people): 6 €
- Main roads between Lyon/Perpignan,
33 km south-west of Nîmes,
45 km south-west of d’Arles,
27 km east of Montpellier
- From Nîmes: A9, exit 26 Gallargues via RN113, then D979
- From Arles: exit 4 via D570 Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer to D38
- From Montpellier: exit 2 via D66, then D62
Tours et remparts d’Aigues-Mortes
Tel.: (33) (0)4 66 53 61 55 - Fax: (33) (0)4 66 53 79 98