FacebookFollow us on TwitterYouTube ChannelPinterestGoogle+Instagram
  • © ViaFrance

    Zoom

    La Tour du Roy

    The city’s defence tower.

    Built in the 13th century in 1237 by the Duke of Aquitaine and King Henry III of England, the square tower is all of 32 metres high. Up until the 17th or 18th century, the building was used as the Saint-Emilion town hall.
    The tower looks over the town and is the only Romanesque style building in Gironde. From the top of the tower come the pronouncements on the new wine, on the third Sunday in June, and the wine harvest banns on the third Sunday in September.

 
 

Things to see

Point of interest