Erected between 1440 and 1446 by the Archbishop of Bordeaux, and whose name it bears, the Pey-Berland Tower is distinguished by the fact that it is disassociated from the Cathédrale Saint-André.
In the flamboyant Gothic style, the tower was crowned up until 1667 by a 12.5 metre spire.
Destroyed by a storm, the latter was completely razed to the ground in 1793 and rebuilt starting in 1851. In 1863, a statue of Notre-Dame d'Aquitaine in copper was placed at the crown.
Thus over the centuries the tower's background was rather turbulent. During the Revolution, it was transformed, as were many Medieval monuments, into a lead factory.
The tower structure was good for housing bells, including the colossal Ferdinand-André bell that continues to echo throughout the city.