Menton, my city is a garden
Succumb to the authentic charm of the French Riviera in Menton, a seaside resort, ideally located between the Principality of Monaco and Italy, where the Alps plunge into the shores of the Mediterranean.
Thanks to a microclimate that tends towards the sub-tropics, Menton is a gardener's paradise, and also an unparalleled showcase for the architecture that has shaped this secret in the Riviera.
With accommodation and traditional restaurants to suit all budgets, as well as a Casino, public and private beaches, and international events such as the Lemon Festival, all the ingredients can be found here for an unforgettable holiday.
- The Fontana Rosa Garden: created in 1922 by politician and writer Vincente Blasco-Ibañez to produce a memento of his native Valencia (currently being renovated).
- The Maria Serena Villa Garden: located near the Italian border in a quarter called “la petite Afrique” (little Africa), it is reputed as having the mildest climate in France.
- The collection of citrus trees of the Palais Carnolès: Europe’s largest collection of citrus trees enriched by the Princes vegetable garden in 2011, this garden was awarded the title “Jardin remarquable” (remarkable garden).
- The Serre de la Madone Garden: started in 1924 by Major Lawrence Johnston, creator of the Hidcote Manor Garden in England, this garden has been listed as an Historical Monument in 1990.
- The Val Rahmeh Garden: owned by the National Museum of Natural History, this exotic botanical garden has made it possible to introduce and acclimatise a few specimens of extirpated species such as the Sophora toromino, native to Easter Island.
- La Citronneraie: this lemon grove is comprised of about 450 trees, all of which are of the “Citron de Menton” variety, considered the most prestigious out of the 80 known species. This garden was awarded the title “Jardin remarquable” (remarkable garden) in 2009.
- Les Colombières Garden: listed as a Historical Monument in 1991, this garden offers a path marked by astonishing works nestled in a landscape of olive trees and cypresses, memories of ancient times set to best advantage by the man of letters and landscape artist Ferdinand Bac.
- The new Jean Cocteau – Severin Wunderman Collection Museum: built at the foot of the old city, the museum opened in November 2011 thanks to a donation comprising more than 1,525 works.
- The wedding hall decorated by Jean Cocteau: this room is completely unique in France.
- Jean Cocteau museum in the “Bastion”: this 17th century fort was selected by the artist to exhibit his work.
- The old town: created in the 13th century, it's maze of narrow little streets winds down from the setting of the old castle, to the sea and the old port district.
- Saint-Michel pedestrian street with its 18th and 19th century architecture, with numerous restaurants and shops.
- The Palais Carnolès: former summer residence of the princes of Monaco, this palace houses the city’s art museum, with paintings from the 13th century to the present day.
- The Regional Prehistoric Museum: this exceptionally well-designed museum allows you to turn back the clock one million years, to when man first arrived on the Côte d’Azur, with reconstructions and slide shows.
- Annonciade Monastery: the true birthplace of Menton is now a haven of peace and contemplation.
- The guided tours and excursions proposed by the Tourist Office in and around Menton.
Getting to Menton
- By train: there are 2 railway stations Menton Gare and Menton Garavan – The High Speed Train (TGV Méditerranée) daily and direct from Paris to Menton in 6 ½ hrs. Regular Express Trains (TER): from Menton to Monaco 11 minutes, from Menton to Vintimille (Italy) 9 minutes.
- By plane: Nice Côte d’Azur Airport is located 30 minutes from Menton by motorway, and welcomes more than forty airlines and low-cost flights, offering regular international flights linking Nice to 100 destinations in 30 countries.
- By road: “Autoroute du Soleil” A8 (The Sunshine Motorway A8) exit n°59 Menton, and the Route Nationale 7.
- February-March :
La Fête du Citron® (Lemon Festival)
- June :
The Garden Month
Mediterranean pure-bred Arabian Horses Championship
- July :
My town is Tango
Race Nautic Tour
- August :
Le Festival de Musique (Music Festival)
- September :
Mediterranean Garden Days
European Heritage Days
- December-January :
Christmas in Menton
Menton Tourist Office
8 avenue Boyer
Tel: +33 (0)4 92 41 76 76
Fax: +33 (0)4 92 41 76 78