Practically on the edge of the A75 Highway that links Clermont-Ferrand to Montpellier, just a few kilometres from the Millau Viaduct, the towers and ramparts of the Templar city of La Couvertoirade stand up proudly.
In 1158, the Templars, or soldier monks, received from the Count of Barcelona and King of Aragon "the city of Saint-Eulalie and the land called Larzac". Saint-Eulalie was built up and fortified and exerted an influence over the entire region. The Templars also built the bastions in the towns of La Couvertoirade, Pas de Jaux and Cavalerie.
It's not only the mystery surrounding the Order of the Temple, but this mediaeval village enclosed in the ramparts - thanks to which La Couvertoirade was so remarkably well preserved - that lets imaginations run wild.
For more information, please contact the Tourism Services at the La Couvertoirade city hall at +33 (0)5 65 58 55 59
Not accessible by public transport.