The Château de Pierrefonds was built in the fifteenth century by Louis d'Orleans then dismantled on the orders of Louis XIII. In the nineteenth century, Viollet-le-Duc raised it from its ruins according to the wishes of Napoleon III to make it an imperial residence, situated near the Château de Compiègne. The construction lasted from 1857 to 1884.
Viollet-le-Duc showed at Pierrefonds the measure of his creative talent, interpreting the architecture and decorative arts of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. The richness and variety of the painted decoration announced Horta and Guimard, fifty years ahead of the Modern Style. The carved decoration, including animals that adorn the upper parts, completely renews the fantastic bestiary. Multiple gateways, doorways and galleries, also contribute to making the castle a confusing, dreamlike environment.
The chateau was enhanced in 1995 with a collection of sculptures in copper and lead created by the Monduit workshops which from 1867 to 1970, were widely associated with the restoration of historical monuments.
Not accessible by public transport
Admission prices :
Full price : 7.5 €
Reduced price : 4.5 €
Up to 25 years : Free
Disabled (adults) : Free
Group rates (adults) : 6 €
Closed on 1 January, 1 May and 25 December