A princely residence dating from the 12th, 15th and 16th century which was once the home of Jean de Dunois, the owner of the Château in the 15th century and a companion-in-arms of Joan of Arc
Standing some 60 metres above the Loir valley, the Château features a rare succession of medieval, Gothic and Renaissance architectural elements including two open staircases overlooking the courtyard. The beautifully preserved interior houses a fine collection of tapestries. The Gothic Sainte-Chapelle, built by Dunois, contains some outstanding sculpted statues.
A mediaeval kitchen garden has recently been laid out at the foot of the main keep to illustrate how herbs and spices were used in the cuisine and medicines of the Middle Ages.
Subject to modification.
- 2nd May to 30th June: from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- 1st July to 4th September: from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 6.15 p.m.
- 5th September to 30th April: from 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- Last admission 1 hour before closing time.
- 1st January, 1st May and 25th December
- Number of floors visited during the tour: 2 (unaccompanied tour)
- Monument accessible to people with reduced mobility with help
- Unaccompanied tour of the Château and medieval garden with guide booklet: French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese
Duration: 1 hr
- Guided tour of the keep: French
• Reservations: 9 days
Duration: 1 hr 15 min
- Parking for coaches 30 m
- Seating available during the tour and in the park
- Gift shop (sale of mediaeval products)
- Function room rental
- Adults: 7,50 €
- Concessions: 4,50 €
- Free admission: minors under 18*
Free admission: 18-25 years old* (citizens of one of the 27 countries of the EU or are non-European permanent residents of France)
* excluding school groups
- Rate for tourism professionals and groups (minimum 20 people): 6 €
- Between the A11 Paris/Le Mans and A10, Chartres/Tours motorways, on the Chartres/Tours main road
- From Paris: A11 exit Thivars, N10 direction Tours, or A10 exit Allaines, D927
- From Chartres: RN10 Châteaudun
- From Orléans: D955, Le Mans, Alençon
- From Blois: D924, Châteaudun
Château de Châteaudun
Tel: (33) (0)2 37 94 02 90 - Fax: (33) (0)2 37 94 02 94