Former residence of counts and dukes of Savoy, and therefore witness of the close connections between Chambéry and Piémont, the castle constitutes a grouping of buildings constructed from Middle Ages to the present. Today, it houses the Prefecture and the General Council.
The main accessible sites for a guided tour are: the Treasury tower (fourteenth century), the lower rooms (fourteenth century), the semi-round tower(fourteenth - nineteenth century) and the Saint Chapel (fifteenth century) with Gothic vaults painted in trompe l’œil and stained glass windows from the fifteenth century, which housed from 1502 to 1578 the Holy Shroud, today in Turin.
Since 2007, the 37 bells of the ancient carillons from 1937 are displayed in the Honours Court of the castle. The castle reveals numerous historical moments of the city and charms by its architectural richness.