The Béthune Belfry serves both as a symbol of public freedom and, at the same time, serves as one of the last remaining tributes to the Medieval period in the town.
Built in sandstone in 1388, the Belfry is representative of the shop keeping bourgeoisie.
Next to the Belfry, the Halle aux Drapes (Cloth Hall) featured all the business transactions and communications of the cloth manufacturers and traders. Destroyed in 1661, this Hall was replaced by living quarters which served to protect the Belfry from bombing in 1918.
The Belfry, with its bell, has been restored to its former condition. Its chimes provide rhythm to the daily life of Béthune inhabitants.
Classified as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2005, the Belfry was selected by the Regional Council as the logo for the Nord-Pas de Calais region.
More information can be found at the Office of Tourism on + 33 (0)3 21 57 25 47