Important remnants of the Benedictine abbey
One of the most powerful Carolingian and Benedictine abbeys of medieval France owes its origins to the relic of Sainte-Croix. Built and reworked from the 8th to the 15th century, it houses the “Concile de la Paix de Dieu” (religious council) in 989. Its famous octagonal tower, known as the “tour Charlemagne”, its outstanding Gothic sculptures ans its treasures make it one of the most important sites in Poitou’s Heritage.
Subject to modification
- Open :
- 2nd May to 31st August: from 9.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- 1st September to 30th April: from 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- Closed :
- 1st January, 1st May, 1st November, 11th November and 25th December
- Monument accessible to people with reduced mobility with help
- Unaccompanied tour with guide booklet : French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch
- Guided tour : French
- Rate for tourism professionals and groups (minimum 20 people) 2,80 €
- Adults 3 €
- Concessions 2,50 €
- Free admission: minors under 18*
- Free admission: 18-25 years old*(citizens of one of the 27 countries of the EU or are non-European permanent residents of France)
* excluding school groups
- Gift shop
- Parking for coaches 30 m
- Main road between La Rochelle and Limoges via Niort, 20 km to the east of the road between Poitiers and Angoulême
- From Poitiers or Angoulême: RN10 to D148, direction Limoges
- From Limoges: exit 7 via RN141 direction Angoulême to D948, Niort
Abbaye de Charroux
> tel./fax: (33) (0)5 49 87 62 43