16 exceptional hotels have been awarded the prestigious "Palace" status:
Established by the French Minister of Tourism in November 2010, the Distinction Palace is designed to award official recognition to the finest 5-star hotels. they must have exceptional qualities that embody French standards of excellence and contribute to enhancing the image of France throughout the world. It is also designed to increase the profile of these establishments, especially on the international scene.
The ministry of tourism awards the "Palace" distinction after the completion of a two phase process:
- an initial investigation phase conducted by ATOUT FRANCE based on objective eligibility criteria. These mandatory criteria include having the following available to guests: fitness area, spa, multilingual team, concierge service and more.
- an evaluation phase is conducted by an experienced panel, based on a set of assessment criteria including: location, appearance, history of the site, character of the establishment, involvement of staff in seeking excellence, gourmet restaurants, respectful environmental policy, and more.
The panel consists of:
- Dominique FERNANDEZ, member of the Académie Française
- Adélaïde de CLERMONT TONNERE, French journalist and novelist
- Aliza JABES, President of Laboratoires NUXE
- Hubert JOLY, President and Managing Director of Carlson
- Serge NICOLE, President of Ateliers d’Art de France
- Joseph OLIVEREAU, Honorary President of Relais & Châteaux
- Carole ROUSSEAU, television presenter and producer
- Yves ROUSSET-ROUARD, film producer
- Gonzague SAINT-BRIS, writer, historian and journalist
- Jean-Michel WILMOTTE, architect and designer